1. Planting flowers -- A seed is planted in my mind which I nurture with water and sun in the faith that it will sprout and grow.
2. Playing cards -- I divide things into four categories and look for patterns across the suits until the logic and meaning emerges and I know which card to play.
3. Savings account -- I invest the time to accumulate data and information until there is enough interest that I can roll it over into the next idea.
4. Switching on a light bulb -- It's not until the light switches on that I have an insight or an 'ah ha'.
5. Eating -- You need to take in the basic meat and potatoes before you get to the mouth-watering dessert.
6. Being a detective -- It's all about uncovering the facts, looking for clues and asking the right questions until the whole mystery makes sense.
7. Peeling an onion -- I peel off a layer which reveals the next layer to be peeled off. Each time something teIls me I'm get closer to the core of the matter.
8. A quest -- I'm searching for that illusive something and every step I take brings me closer to what I need to know, but I never get there ... it's a continuous journey.
9. Sculpting -- You start with the raw material and shape it into a form that's pleasing to the eye.
10. Wrestling -- I struggle with the ideas until they're pinned down and I've captured them.
What other metaphors can you think of?