- If we really want students to succeed in the future, we have to allow them to work in a participatory and collaborative way.
- They did all this work outside of school because our filters wouldn’t let them find these things.
- We invited the superintendent, adminstration, etc. – not one of them took the invitation. That was disappointing.
- Teachers will incorporate bits and pieces, but it was still the same basic curriculum – we needed to change the whole thing.
- 'They’re on a computer, that’s not English' – but they were doing more reading and writing than in their other English classes.
- I didn’t feel like our department had a vision – so I changed schools. At my new school, there was a different way of talking about students, a different way of viewing students.
- We believe kids can’t look critically at the world until they figure out who they are.
- We should think of ourselves [teachers] as the Designer of the Learning Experience.
- Every teacher will have to be tech savvy.
- They (the teachers) don’t have to be where the information is.
- Blogging is reading, with the intent to write. (Quoting Will Richardson).
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Notes from the NCTE
Karl Fisch's notes from the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) Convention in the States:
Posted by alwyn at 1:14 PM